WOMEN CODING FOR SUCCESS
Applications are now open and close on Friday, 30 November 2018.
To apply, click here.
Since 2000, employment growth for women in STEM jobs (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) has been declining. Worldwide, in venture capital-financed, high-growth technology startups, only 9% of entrepreneurs are women. This is a problem which AmCham and its Women's Committee is tackling head on.
In March 2017, AmCham France launched Women Coding for Success. With over 15 corporate partners involved, this free 11-week training program allows young transatlantic women not only to acquire technical skills but also to build their confidence to apply for a job in the digital sector. We want to encourage the leaders and managers of tomorrow who will comfortably work in the tech sector. At the end of their training, AmCham encourages and helps all the participants to secure an internship within a partner company.
The first edition of the Women Coding for Success trained 5 young women, the second edition (launched in March 2018) graduated 19 participants and the third edition will train 12 women.
The training program is run by AmCham France, and a number of members including Gayle Gorvett, Noel Thevenet and Raphael Moraglia, with trained professionals from Skillogs and corporate partner experts.
The program is sponsored by 3M France and the other companies involved include: Atalna Fi, AT&T, Bryan Cave, GGorvett Consulting, Symphony, Barrycenter Europe, EDF, Giromela, AIG, IBM, BNP Paribas, Cisco, Newmanity, Orange, Paypal, Skillogs, Stringcan and The Smartworking Company.
The program received very positive feedback from the participants.
"This was a very rewarding experience. The skills that I am taking away from Women Coding for Success is immeasurable. Not only am I now able to better understand the world of technology, but also the interpersonal skills I've learned are invaluable."
"It was very interesting and I have learned so much."
"It was a great experience, I feel lucky to have been part of it. I have definitely grown in confidence and skills and I am motivated to keep learning."
You can follow along with the program on Facebook!
Important dates for the 2019 program:
- Candidates have until Friday, 30 November 2018 to apply
- Participants will be informed of the decision of the jury on Thursday, 6 December 2018 (accepted, waiting list, not accepted for this session)
- Participants have until Friday, 7 December 2018 COB to communicate their decision to join or not
- If need be, candidates on the waiting list will be contacted on Monday, 10 December 2018
- Participants have until Tuesday, 11 December 2018 COB to communicate their decision
- Program starts on Saturday, 23 March 2019
Criteria for application:
- A woman between the age of 18 and 30
- Fluent in English and French
- Available to attend the Saturday training sessions
- Available to complete an internship after the completion of the training
- Minimal to no prior coding training
- Enthusiastic about learning about coding and the technology ecosystem